Tuesday, October 18, 2011

product rave: bareMinerals Putting on the Glitz set (w/swatches)

So technically I raved about this in my last post, but I wanted to do a separate post to go into more detail with product photos and swatches.  If you missed my last post, you can see me wearing some of the items in this kit here.


What it includes (copied from Sephora.com):

  • 0.13 oz Pretty Amazing Lipgloss in Perky (warm rose)
  • 0.1 oz Prime Time Primer Shadow in Toasted Almond (iced coffee) *READ: TAUPE!*
  • 0.02 oz Eyecolor in Glamtastic (warm champagne luster)  
  • 0.02 oz Eyecolor in Glitz (smoky plum sparkle) 
  • 0.044 oz Round The Clock Waterproof Eyeliner in 5 pm (deep plum) 
  • 0.33 oz Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara in Black 
  • 0.03 oz Blush in Gorgeous (petunia pink) 
  • 0.03 oz All-Over Face Color in Luxe Radiance (apricot pink) 
  • Double-Ended Luxe Cheek & Eye Brush  
  • Sparkling clutch 


These are all full size products, too. It says on the box that it's a $157 for $54, and I really believe that the individual products combined are actually worth that estimated amount. Some of the items are exclusive to the set, too. It was the Prime Time Primer Shadow in Toasted Almond and the Eye Color in Glitz that really pushed me over the edge and coerced me into buying this set, but I've honestly loved all of the products so far! The only things I haven't taken for a spin yet are the blush and the brush (but I do plan to use them). I haven't used the clutch/pouch either, but I can say that all of the products in the kit fit inside it.

Eye Colors in Glitz and Glamtastic

I bet these would be gorgeous applied wet! For the looks I did this weekend, I applied them dry with a sponge-tip applicator (putting a double-ended one from a Sleek palette to work!). Love them both!

All-Over Face Color in Luxe Radiance and Blush in Gorgeous

I wouldn't recommend using Luxe Radiance all over your face, as it's a rosy peach shade and pretty packed with shimmer.  I love this as a highlight, though (used it in both looks in my last post). I bet it would work well as a shadow as well.  I haven't worked out the best way to apply this, though.  Maybe a fan brush? My regular angled brush picks up too much product, even when I reeeally try not to!

As for the blush, while it looks scary bright in the pan, it looks pretty non-threatening when swatched. A nice rosy shade. I haven't had the best luck with bareMinerals loose blushes in the past - I find them hard to apply evenly and blend (I've never had to work so quickly to blend something that wasn't foundation!). But we shall see...

Top: Glitz, Glamtastic, Luxe Radiance, Gorgeous
Bottom: Toasted Almond, 5 PM, Perky

The Toasted Almond Primer Shadow (exclusive to the set) is a gorgeous taupe. I have the shade Sundance from the permanent range, and I love it, and this one is equally as awesome.  I think it would be perfect for lazy days. One step!

The eyeliner in 5 PM is another winner.  I wore it today and it wore all day without smudging or fading. It's a deep plum that almost reads brown in some lighting.  I don't have another liner in a shade like this one.  Love!

In my swatch, the Pretty Amazing Lipgloss in Perky looks really... orange. It isn't.  On my lips it's a neutral rose "MLBB" shade (reminds me of NARS Dolce Vita).  I have another one of these in the shade Freewill -- Perky is definitely less thick and more forgiving. It's not a shade I'd usually choose, but I like it. You could wear it over a lipstick, but I think it looks good on its own.  I didn't notice it gathering in the center of my lips when I wore it to work Saturday either.

Pretty Amazing Lipgloss in Perky

*just to show the multi-colored shimmer particles in Glitz - gorgeous!

To sum it up, I think this kit is a great buy, either as a gift for yourself or for someone else. It's exclusively at Sephora, and regular price it's $54 for eight full size products, a dual-ended brush, and a clutch - and during the Friends & Family sale, it will only be $43.20! Honestly, I think that's a total steal. All of the products are gorgeous and perfect for everyday or night-out looks. 

I promise I didn't get paid for this post (ha! I wish!!), I just really, really love this kit!

Happy Sephora Friends & Family sale shopping! The only things on my list at the moment are Benefit Watts Up, the Ultraflesh Perfect Pinks set, and probably one (or two?) of the Tokidoki Arte palettes. What's on yours?

xoxo,
<3 Jess

9 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the glittery pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great set. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow really pretty, I have never tried any Bare Minerals products before but this set looks lovely, wish there was a Sephora in the uk :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am adding this to my F&F cart. I have a few BE sets I really have loved aver the years and this one looks promising! Thanks for the swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica! Glitz is gorgeous but I usually can't be bothered to work with loose colors. the little sparkly bag is cute, too, though :) My Sephora list is disgustingly huge (like $500 worth). I've really got to cut it down... somehow... >_>

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so pretty! Quick question: do bare minerals products expire? I just realized that I have a ton that I don't really use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right this IS an incredible kit. The gloss is worth it on it's own!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im such a sucker for glittery stuff.. even the pouch it comes in is cute!!

    ReplyDelete