Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Jewelry, True Blood, & my current reads/TV faves!

I tried to avoid shopping altogether (aside from groceries!) this week, but I did getting something fabulous in the mail yesterday: this Lenora Dame alphabet bracelet.  As a girl who graduated with a writing degree and has a writer for a mother as well, this really spoke to me!

Lenora Dame alphabet bracelet

Here's what it looks like on my wrist:


I love, love, love it.  It's very lightweight, which was a really nice surprise! The only disappointing thing about it? No "J"! : \ The vain part of me really wanted that "J" to be there!

I also forgot to show you this ring I got a few weeks back from Forever21.  It reminds me of a ring my grandmother gave me when I was a lot younger that was a silver star with blue sapphires (my birthstone) all over. 


And then, okay, so I did makes *ONE* impulse buy this week.  I finished the first season of True Blood today, and I was desperate for season two.  There's a wait for it on Netflix, and I was too impatient, so I ran out to get it ASAP. I ended up going to FOUR different stores before I found a copy. I went to Walmart first -- out of stock.  Target -- $50. :P Best Buy -- $50. :P  So I went to ANOTHER Walmart, and YAY! It was in stock! :)

<3 <3 <3

With the World Cup going on and my boyfriend glued to the television during the day, I've been doing a lot of reading. haha I just finished an amazing book, Water for Elephants.  Let's just say I know why it's being made into a movie (I believe Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon are leading the cast) - I just hope they do the book proud! It's about a second-rate circus in the depression era, and the main character is the circus' vet.  I don't want to give away any of the plot, but please do check it out for yourselves if you haven't already. :)

my beat-up used copy!

And since I finished Water for Elephants, I've been re-reading Daughters of Eve by Lois Duncan, one of my favorite books of all time.  My copy is so old and loved! It's even signed by Ms. Duncan herself, who's a friend of my family's. It feels cool to say that, because I love her books so much! A lot of her books have been made into movies -- I Know What You Did Last Summer, Killing Mr. Griffin, and most recently Hotel for Dogs (I think there were others, but I can't remember...). I've heard she's developing a television series as well -- I really hope it comes into fruition!

And a package came in the mail today from Mama with Joshilyn Jackson's new book Backseat Saints inside. I really loved her book The Girl Who Stopped Swimming (I also read Between, Georgia, which wasn't nearly as good) and this looks equally as promising!


And while I'm on the topic of media, I might as well share my current fave summer shows!

Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)

The Bachelorette (ABC)

So You Think You Can Dance (FOX - go Kent!)


I watched the premiere of The Gates on Sunday -- so far, so good! And I'm looking forward to ABC Family's new series Huge as well. Summer's all about guilty pleasure-type shows in my opinion! Nothing too deep or serious, please! ;)

What are your current favorite summer shows? What are you reading right now? I'd love to know!

<3 Jess


5 comments:

  1. I am in love with that bracelet! Why isn't there a J though? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that bracelet!!!:D So cute and unique.:D

    I've been watching Pretty Little Liars too.:D

    http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com/
    BEAUTY. FASHION. DESIGN.
    ...and everything girly under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that bracelet, too! Bring it when you come in July so I can steal it from you!

    I watched the first season of True Blood and really liked it. You know dad, though -- he doesn't like to watch any show that goes on and on without a definite end in sight. That's probably why we like Midsomer Murders so much!

    I know you are going to really like BACKSEAT SAINTS, but it is hard to read at the same time. She gets so deep into her heroine's head that it's almost uncomfortable at times. But her writing is so powerful - she just leaves me breathless!

    I know I sent you Sarah Addison Allen's books, too, so read them when you get the chance. You read those and I'll read THE HELP -- it looks really good but the size is daunting.

    I'm not watching any new shows, unless you count Season Two of Lie to Me. That show can be irritating at times but the premise intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bracelet is beautiful..I WANT

    true blood <3

    love your blog :)

    Mon Cheri !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mon Cheri - I'm following yours now! :)

    ReplyDelete